The former St. Mary’s Convent at Kemper Hall was built in 1911 and served as the Mother House for the Sisters of St. Mary until 1974. Sister Mary Ambrose was the Mother Superior and Headmistress at Kemper Hall for nearly 40 years.
Today, Ambrose Hall, named for Mother Mary Ambrose, is no longer “off limits” to the public. The building now houses the administrative offices for Kemper Center, other rental offices and restored rooms for meetings, receptions and other events. The former dining hall, with a panoramic view of Lake Michigan, and the parlor, with its graceful fireplace are favored places for small wedding receptions, parties and meetings. Ambrose Hall has spacious kitchen facilities on the lower level, and accommodates up to 50 people seated for dinner, and more for classroom style business meetings or cocktail party settings.